TMD/TMJ Treatment Near You
One of the most important parts of good oral health is the function and alignment of your jaw joints, called your temporomandibular joints. When these joints are misaligned, it is known as TMD or TMJ, which causes uncomfortable symptoms such as headaches and neck pain. Eagle Creek Dental Centre is happy to offer TMJ treatment in Burnaby to help patients alleviate these painful symptoms.
What is Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)?
Your temporomandibular joint is what connects your lower jaw to your skull. It is also connected to many of the muscles and nerves in your face. TMJ occurs when your jaw joint becomes misaligned, causing severe and chronic pain. Since TMJ symptoms include pain in many places in the body, it can be difficult to diagnose. The best way to identify if you are suffering from TMJ is to visit Eagle Creek Dental Centre for an evaluation of your neck, jaw, and mouth.
Symptoms of TMJ
If you have noticed any of the below symptoms, you may want to consider getting evaluated for TMJ:
- Jaw Pain: Aching in the jaw, as well as lockjaw, stiffness, and popping, clicking, or grinding sounds when chewing or speaking.
- Headache: Including dizziness and migraines.
- Facial Pain: Swelling, aching, and muscle fatigue in your face.
- Ear Problems: Difficulty hearing, pain, ringing in the ear (tinnitus), and a feeling of fullness behind the ear.
- Body Pain: Aching in your neck, back, and shoulders.
Many of these symptoms can be present with other conditions, so it is important to determine if TMJ is the source of your pain and seek treatment if necessary.
How is TMJ Treated?
TMJ treatment is meant to realign your jaw to take pressure off of your muscles and alleviate painful symptoms. When you visit Eagle Creek Dental Centre, our dentist will offer different treatment options depending on the severity of your TMJ. Options for treatment include:
- Orthodontics: Our dentist may recommend a long-term aligning solution such as braces or Invisalign to correct your bite and alleviate tension.
- TMJ Splint: These are custom-made devices that are worn to prevent grinding and clenching during sleep. Some splints pull your lower jaw forward to help reposition your bite and allow your muscles some relief.
- At-Home Treatment: If you have mild symptoms of TMJ, our dentist will give you a list of things you can do at home to help alleviate them, such as practicing good posture and chewing your food evenly on both sides of your mouth.
Interested in TMJ Treatment Near You?
Eagle Creek Dental Centre is happy to provide TMJ treatment in Burnaby. We understand how frustrating TMJ can be, and we want to help. Please contact our clinic to book a consultation today!